Experienced Car Accident Lawyers in Houston
Being involved in a car accident can be a life-changing experience. The underlying physical, mental, and emotional effects of a car accident could remain with you for the rest of your life. If you’ve been involved in a car accident, you need an experienced lawyer on your side who can help you receive the settlement you deserve.
Most Common Types of Car Accidents in Houston
Car accidents can happen at any time to anyone, even if you have a perfect driving record. Texas leads the country with more fatal car accidents than any other state, with nearly one car accident (fatal or non-fatal) occurring every 60 seconds in 2015.
Common types of car accidents include:
- Head-on collisions
- Rear-end collisions
- Side-swipe or side impact collision
- Weather-related accidents, such as hydroplaning
- Collision with stationary objects, such as a utility pole or tree
- Tire Blowout
Common Injuries From Car Accidents
Regardless of the type of accident or strength of the impact, car accidents can lead to injuries ranging from mild to extremely severe, and even death. Some of the injuries will be obvious right away, while others may manifest over time, such as complications from a spinal misalignment.
The most common types of injuries resulting from car accidents are:
- Brain damage or trauma
- Broken or fractured bones
- Spinal misalignment
When should you get an attorney if you’ve been involved in a car accident?
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, you probably won’t automatically receive the compensation you deserve. That’s why it’s important to have a lawyer on your side who is experienced in handling car accidents and help you get all of the benefits you’re owed.
You should get a car accident attorney if
- The car accident you were involved in resulted in serious injuries, such as broken bones or permanent injuries like paralysis
- The car accident resulted in a death
- It is difficult to determine who was at fault
- The police report places you at fault, even if you feel like someone else was at fault
- The accident happens in a construction zone
- You aren’t sure about your rights or the terms listed in your insurance policy
- Other parties were involved in the accident, such as another car or a pedestrian
- The insurance company refuses to pay or offers to pay too low of an amount (however, keep in mind that it is highly recommended to speak with an attorney prior to negotiating anything with an insurance company)
What evidence is collected for a Houston car accident claim?
Evidence used to determine fault include
- Photos of the damage and injuries resulting from the accident
- Statements from witnesses
- Police reports
- Statements you make to your insurance company (highly recommended to not give any statements to insurance company until after you have
- Medical records
- Reconstruction of the accident
Your attorney can use these pieces of evidence to help prove another party’s fault and demonstrate the severity of your injuries.
Car Accident Statute of Limitations in Houston
The state of Texas has a statute of limitations of two years, which means you have two years from the day of your accident to file your claim. However, you should consult with your lawyer as soon as possible while the details of the accident are still fresh in your mind and witnesses and evidence are more available.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Car Accident
If you’ve been involved in a car accident, the following actions could prove beneficial in the event you need to partner with a lawyer:
- Call 911 and the police, even if you don’t think you are injured and the damage is minimal
- Take pictures of the accident site, including damages to the vehicle and other damaged structures.
- Photograph and document your injuries if you are able
- Go to the hospital or urgent care if needed
Common Mistakes After a Car Accident
- Admitting fault – it’s not prudent for you to determine who is at fault, as you might not be aware of all circumstances that contributed to the accident. Also the Texas state and local laws that are applicable to the wreck are complicated and technical.
- Failing to exchange contact information – You should exchange insurance and contact information with other parties involved in the accident, if possible. Also, make sure you get the license plate of all parties involved.
- Not taking notes – You should write down as many details as you can think of as soon as possible. Even small things that you don’t think matter could make a difference in winning your case.
- Leaving the scene before speaking with police – Not only does this make you appear at fault, it also could be a serious legal offense in some circumstances. Make sure you give your statement to police and get clearance to leave the scene.
How an Attorney Can Help After a Car Accident
If you sustained injuries in a car accident, you shouldn’t have to suffer from someone else’s mistake. A car accident attorney can help ensure you receive fair compensation for your injuries and other costs associated with your accident. While you may never fully heal, the right attorney on your side can help lighten the financial burden and the stress of all the issues created so you can begin putting your life back in place.
Attorney Alejandro Padua and his team believe that nothing should stand in your way of getting the compensation you deserve. That’s why we work with each client on a contingency fee basis – if we don’t win your case, you don’t pay.
Once we’re on the case, we devote as much time and as many resources as possible to helping you get a positive resolution. You’ll have your attorney’s direct phone number and other contact information for immediate communication. We’ll work with you around your schedule and meet wherever is most convenient for you to ensure we’re working toward a solution.
Frequently Asked Questions on Car Accidents
Is it really necessary for me to talk to an attorney?
Not all accidents will require an attorney. However, if you feel you were wrongly placed at fault, sustained a serious injury, or feel the insurance company’s offered settlement isn’t enough, it’s in your best interest to partner with a lawyer who can help you navigate the legal field.
The insurance company said I do not need a lawyer – is it true?
Insurance companies are looking to protect their own best interests, not yours. The less they pay out, the more profitable they are. They are notorious for denying claims or making absurdly low offers. A lawyer can ensure you are compensated fairly and can help you get the most money for your claim.
I do not want to go to trial, can you still help me?
Many cases never make it to trial because insurance companies and some injured parties prefer to settle out of court. There’s a big chance you will receive your settlement without stepping foot in a court room.
How much will I have to pay?
When you win your case, you pay a percentage of your settlement or money recovered. If we don’t win your case, you pay nothing.
How long will it be before my case ends?
Each case is different and could take a few months or even years before a settlement is reached or trial starts. We continually work toward getting you the settlement you deserve as quickly as possible, but without sacrificing the value of your case. There’s no way to guarantee when your case will be finalized because it depends on too many factors.
Contact a Houston car accident attorney today to discuss your case.
There’s no risk or upfront costs to see how a car accident attorney can help you, and absolutely no obligation to move forward with your case. Schedule your free private consultation today with Padua Law Firm, and get back on the road to financial recovery.