Best Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Houston, TX
Padua Law Firm, motorcycle accident attorneys have many years of experience in helping motorcycle accident victims. We will help you get the maximum compensation you deserve!
Legal recourse for people injured in a Houston motorcycle accident
If you suffered a motorcycle accident because of a negligent driver, you can pursue legal action against the responsible party. You can recoup economic losses associated with your accident, including medical bills, lost wages, motorcycle repairs, and other costs.
Texas law requires drivers to carry a minimum of $30,000 of bodily liability insurance per person and at least $60,000 per accident, in addition to property damage liability of at least $25,000 per accident.
To receive compensation from your accident, you must
- Establish a duty of care,
- Show evidence that the duty of care was neglected (or breached) by the defendant, and
- The defendants’ breached duty of care caused or contributed to the accident.
In addition to receiving a settlement for economic losses, motorcycle accident victims may be entitled to additional compensation for pain and suffering. Partnering with a Houston lawyer that focuses on motorcycle accident claims could be your best chance at receiving compensation for punitive damages.
Not-at-fault Motorcycle Accident Claims
Drivers who make left-hand turns in front of oncoming motorcyclists make up nearly 42% of all motorcycle accidents, while dangerous or poor road conditions account for nearly 25%.
The risk of injury can be prevented by the rider if he/she wears protective gear such as a helmet, gloves, or motorcycle jacket.
What to do if you are in a motorcycle accident
Your actions immediately following an accident can significantly influence how such an event will impact you:
- Call for police and medical emergency services. The police will be able to collect details and prepare a report about the accident.
- Make an appointment with your doctor. The body goes through a shock following the accident and injuries can take some time to reveal themselves.
- Do not admit fault, even if you believe yourself to be at fault. It is up to the authorities to determine who is at fault, as there may be factors involved you were not aware of and the effects of shock and other injuries can have detrimental mental effects on your ability to process information.
- Take photos of the accident scene, motorcycle, other vehicles involved (including their license plates), and the surrounding area if you are able.
- Write down any details you can think of regarding the accident, even if you don’t think they are significant.
- Seek legal aid to help guide you through this difficult time.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Texas
Motorcycle accidents, though not necessarily more frequent than other types of accidents, are more likely to result in serious injury or death due to:
- Unsafe speed
- Failure to yield right of way
- Distracted driving
- Inexperienced driver
- Improper turns
- Failure to signal during turns
- Unsafe lane changes
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Animal obstruction
- Defective or uneven pavement
- Limited or obstructed line of sight
- Following too closely
- Weather-related conditions
Common Motorcycle Injuries
Regardless of the cause, any motorcycle accident could produce a devastating outcome to motorcyclists, including:
- Head injury or trauma
- Broken bones
- Spinal injuries
- Injuries requiring amputation
- Road rash
- Neck injuries
Motorcycle Accident Statistics in Houston
Findings from the Texas Department of Transportation illustrate the severity of motorcycle accidents in Houston and throughout Texas:
- In 2013, the most motorcycle accidents in Texas occurred in Houston.
- In 2016, 16% of all vehicular fatalities in Texas involved motorcyclists.
- 69% of motorcycle accidents in Texas occur in urban areas, while 31% happen in rural areas.
- Nearly half of all motorcyclists killed in an accident were wearing helmets.
- Motorcycle accident deaths in Texas have continued to increase each year for the past five years.
Seeking a Lawsuit After a Motorcycle Accident
We can help you move forward in obtaining the compensation and settlement you deserve. While no amount of money can truly undo all the damage from your accident, it can help relieve the financial burden and get you one step closer back to your normal life. Contact the motorcycle accident attorneys at Padua Law Firm today to schedule a Free Consultation.